Mary Mapel sent us a reminder to set calendars for the Open House Event at Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch on Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017. from 10am – 3pm. The invitation from Vic Laubach and fellow counters reads as follows:
Where the Raptors Soar! – A Day at the Hawk Watch
Open House Event at Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch
Saturday, Sept 9, 2017, 10am – 3pm
Each fall over 20,000 raptors migrate through Rockfish Gap, and we count them all! Come join us at our 6th annual OPEN HOUSE as we witness this great migration and enjoy a fun day of family events including:
- Live raptor show by the Wildlife Center of Virginia
- Meet our counters and learn how/why we conduct a hawk watch
- Try out a variety of binoculars and spotting scopes
- Participate in a raptor identification workshop
- Examine mounted raptor specimens up close
- Exhibits by local bird clubs and environmental groups
- A variety of educational displays and presentations
- Nature activities for the kids
- Refreshments will be provided
Bring a lawn chair, hat, sunscreen and binoculars. Pets are discouraged because of live raptors on site.
Rockfish Gap Hawk Watch is located on Afton Mountain on the grounds of the Inn at Afton just of exit 99 (intersection of I-64, Rt 250, Skyline Drive, and Blue Ridge Parkway).
Rain date: Sunday, Sept 10.
For more information about the Hawk Watch visit their website at www.rockfishgaphawkwatch.org .