Peggy was unable to attend the Monthly Meeting, so Guy’s Meeting Agenda will serve as this month’s Minutes.
• Welcome – Guy
• Treasurer report – Maynard
• Photo Contest – Maynard
• Field Trips – Susan
• Membership – Myrlene
o Welcome new members
• Business Wrap Up -Guy
• New Board Positions available starting in June
o After many years of valiant service to the club, Joanne, Lou, and Patty will be moving on to new opportunities. We do have a volunteer for one position (membership).
o We still have positions open in
o Please contact me to volunteer for one of these exciting opportunities.
Thank you for responding to the survey – the board and I will be going through your responses to make plans for the future. We have not done the analysis yet but here are some interesting tidbits – 81 respondents, which is about ½ of the membership. There was a great deal of interest in meeting topics that had to do with conservation – so I think you will like today’s talk. We will share more results in the future.
• Feedback, interesting sightings, etc?
• Walker Catlett, of the Blue Ridge Young Birder Club, was recognized for his work in raising awareness of bird/window collisions in the community and was asked to introduce the speaker.
• Our speaker was Dr. Daniel Klem, who is the Sarkis Acopian Professor of Ornithology and Conservation Biology at Muhlenberg College. Dr. Klem gave an engaging and informative presentation that covered the topic of bird mortality from window collisions. Dr. Klem discussed the data that showed that windows cause bird collisions of around 1 million birds per year in the United States alone. He discussed how this included homes as well as commercial buildings. Dr. Klem also discussed ways that bird deaths can be prevented. The presentation was followed by questions from the audience which continued after the presentation.