Friday, Mar 09, 2018
Surf Side Hotel
Field Trip Leader: John Holden
2/27 Update from John…
- Sign up (to get meeting points and times on the Outer Banks) by contacting me (cell phone 434-249-0806).
- Meet at 3pm Friday in the parking lot of the Surf Side Hotel and at 7:30am Saturday in the same place.
- I will be sending out trip specifics to all that have signed up later in the week (of March 5-9) when pertinent weather data is available.
(Below is the original trip description)
Friday to Sunday …..or Saturday-Sunday. Sign-up for this trip is required (see below).
We will visit several outstanding locations on the Outer Banks and another in interior North Carolina, a little over an hour away from the Outer Banks (Pea Island NWR, Bodie Island, Alligator River NWR and Mattamuskeet NWR). Mattamuskeet has large areas re-opening March 1, and that is always special.
Jeannie (photography)and John Holden (Master Naturalist) have been visiting these particular areas for many years and can take members to some of the very best viewing sites.
This time of the year the Outer Banks off-season rates are very reasonable. It is suggested staying in Nags Head, as that is very close to 2 of our sites (less than 25 minutes). For those interested, meeting for dinner Friday and Saturday nights is an option. The weather is usually fantastic at this time of year down there ….low 60’s and pre-insect.
Tentative plan…..with weather (winds) being the ultimate plan where and when determiner.
- Friday — Sunset birding for those making it, at Bodie and or Pea Island.
- Saturday — Dawn on the Pea Island causeway and platform, then on to Mattamuskeet, and back to Bodie or Pea at sunset.
- Sunday –Alligator NWR and other Manteo sites
All walks are short and level. Lunch will be on the run, so bring a cooler and supplies including drinks, from home. More details of the trip will be sent out in late January, to all those signing up with John Holden at [email protected] or by calling him at 973-9179. No questions too small.
It is suggested to not make room reservations until the week before, in case of weather cancellations…